AT-43 Tips and Tactics
Below are some general tips and tactics for playing AT-43. Obviously there are exceptions for any situation but these are some good points to keep in mind.
- Activation Cards: When laying out your activation cards keep in mind what forces are in the most danger. Also think about what unit your opponent is most likely to activate first.
- Leadership: Activating at the right time can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Use your Leadership Points to help with activation rolls or to change your unit activation order.
- Remember your options: Unlike other games, in AT-43 a unit can attack and move, move attack, attack and assault, and rush. Heavy weapons can attack a different target.
- Protect your heavy weapons: Because hits are taken in order by distance keep your heavy weapons in the middle of your squads. If you feel the rear is safe keep them in the back. Because range is determined from the squad leader you are not penalized for position.
Tips for White Stars
- Watch your range: White Star Laser Rifles are roughly better than Therian Nano Blasters from range 5 and over. Your odds are roughly even under range 5. This assumes you have more in number to help offset their re-roll advantage. Beware of using a small advantage in numbers up close as you may pay for that in an assault. Use range to your advantage. Shoot and back away.
- The Missile Launcher is range independent. With the Lock rule you can fire your Missile Launcher even through friendly units and you’ll mostly be firing at Striders anyway so that’s another good reason to keep it back. If you know there will be no enemy Striders put it up front to soak up hits.
- The Fire Toad is best at close range and can even auto-hit/kill many targets (or almost) at range 4 and closer.
- Be afraid of the Sonic Gun! It has a high rate of fire and hit stats equal to your Laser Rifle.
- Stay out of close combats. Unless you have much greater numbers you’ll lose.
Tips for Therians
- Watch your range: Your forces are much better at close range and remember the Nano Blaster gets a re-roll for impact. The Sonic Gun and Medium Sonic Cannon get better the closer you are.
- Close Combat: Your forces are much better in close combat. Remember you can shoot, move, and assault in the same turn. Remember you can close assault the Fire Toad.
- The Wraith Golgoth: Is the best unit in the Operation Damocles set. It is fast, great at close range, and has a good long range weapon. It also has staying power with 5 hits. The White Stars’ Steel Troopers cannot hurt it with their laser rifles or in close combat. Beware of the missile launcher.
- Speed: Speed is your friend. Your units are faster than the White Star equivalents. Use this to your advantage to close or get out of trouble.
- Space: When fighting on the room map remember the Wraith Golgoth can’t enter certain rooms or move from one side of the map to the other because of its size. The White Stars’ Fire Toads are much less restricted.
One thought on “AT-43 Tips and Tactics”
01Jun07 at 1130
[…] to get the FAQ and do not miss our AT-43 Tips and Tactics. […]